Friday, September 21, 2012

Top 10 most applicable hip-hop songs to nursing school (PT 1)

Going through nursing you experience a pretty wide range of emotions, from pretty crazy high's (like the day you got accepted) to soul crushing lows (the first time you really screwed up in clinical). I would do a top 10 "Songs that apply to Nursing School" but I would run the risk of A. Opening the door for Bieber songs to be eligible. and B.  Not being able to show what a hip-hop hipster I am. 

Besides who does not naturally correlate nursing with hip-hop? I know as soon as I think about nursing the first thing that pops into my mind is dudes rapping about: money, women, and drugs. There is no more appropriate genre for a top ten list.

Each song will have: a most appropriate moment in nursing school, most fitting line, link to the song (who doesn't have 30-45 minutes to spare listening to obscure hip-hop songs on an obscure blog?), and GIF that captures the moment and song perfectly.

Remember this is nursing school related so ultimately this is one big time waster.



BONUS. Marvin's Room- Drake


The song (with an altered audio YAY COPYRIGHT LAWS!!!) 

The most applicable line: "I see all of my friends here
Guess she (or he) don't have the time to kick it no more"

The nursing school application: This song is our token break up song. Nursing school is actually the second leading cause of break-ups in the united states behind marriage. I remember when we started Nursing School one of our teachers Teacher-X was like "Yeah you probably won't make it through school with the same boyfriend/girlfriend you are with now" we all chuckled and went on our merry way. Little did we know nursing school would start stalking couples like characters in a horror film RIP to all the happy relationships done in by nursing school



#10 Missing You- P.diddy/Diddy/ Sean Combs/ Puff Daddy/ WHATEVER HIS NAME IS NOW



Most applicable line:" This goes out to everyone who has lost someone"

Application to Nursing School: This goes out to all the victims of that one class in your program that is notorious for weeding out the pretenders. In my case it was pathophysiology. Our patho class was during the first semester taught by a teacher who was famous for her impossible tests and partying abilities. The overwhelming sense of constant doom that goes along with being a first semester nursing student combined with the test questions meant that a large % of our class was close to the pass/fail mark. Seriously this would be an example question from a patho test:

B2-adrenergic agonist's do which of the following: 

A. Purple
B. The declaration of independence 
C. B/C=C^2 
D. A &B
E. A & C
F. B & C
G. ALL
H. NONE

Naturally we would go ask our teacher questions like "Hey whats the English version of this question???" she would look at us and say something really helpful like "You should have studied harder" or "Mmmmmmmm"

I'm not bitter though.


Related GIF: 



#9 I don't wanna care right now- Lupe Fiasco




Applicable line: "No, I don't, I really don't wanna care right now"

Application to nursing: This is pretty simple, this is exactly how I felt after taking tests and how I often felt when friends would complain to me about how busy or hard their school was. Nursing school makes you an expert at two things: 1. bed baths and 2. The "Oh yeah thats nice" smile and nod when a non-nursing major talks about their really tough world lit class

NURSING ELITISM FTW


Related GIF: 



#8 Till I collapse- Eminem





Most applicable line: "Cause sometimes you just feel tired. You feel weak and when you feel weak you feel like you just wanna give up. But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength and just pull that ISH out of you and get that motivation to not give up"

Application to nursing school: this is for every moment that you are so unbelievably tired that you feel like you can sleep for weeks and weeks, but unfortunately you have a full clinical day followed by yet another all nighter studying for a test that will decide your future. So basically this is for every moment. 

Related GIF: 


#7 Power- Kanye West




Most Applicable Line: NO ONE MAN SHOULD HAVE ALL THAT POWER

Application to nursing school: Teachers with too much power, doctor's ( ALSO APPLIES TO FEMALES THIS IS A SEMI-POLITICALLY CORRECT BLOG LETS ALL CALM DOWN) people in charge of the crash cart, charge nurses, and my personal favorite anonymous nursing student bloggers


Related GIF: 



#6 Awesome- XV



Most applicable line: "Cause I feel so awesome, how ya feel awesome? Well I guess that's awesome"

Ok so XV may not be the best lyricist, I mean rhymed "awesome" with "awesome" with "awesome" but....

Application to nursing school:....who hasn't felt this way at least a few times in nursing school. PERSONAL STORY ALERT. For me this song best applies to getting accepted. Our school looks at: grades, interview score, and experience (shadowing or work). I had good grades in undergrad but I was unbelievably nervous going into the interview. I really don't like interviews you have to brag on yourself and I AM EXTREMELY INCREDIBLY HUMBLE, i could do an entire blog about my humility. Seriously, the list of applicable nicknames goes: Honest Abe, Baracka flocka flame Obama, The Black Mamba (Kobe), and Captain humility (me). Actually, the real reason I don't like interviews is the questions, anytime someone will be asking you questions like: "So captain humility if your nursing essence had a spirit animal what would that animal be and why?!" i'm out. For the record my nursing spirit animal is in fact a Liger. Anyway I was sure I had bombed the interview, to make it worse all of my friends that applied were getting accepted and I got no letter. After about two weeks I was sure I had botched my interview badly enough that I wouldn't be getting in, I was already looking into changing my name and applying to a school that offered a twitter major #brightfuture. So finally my mom calls (she had been out of town for about a week and a half) and in between the sobbing I make out the words "letter" "proud" and "school". After putting on my critical thinking cap and going Sherlock Holmes I deducted that I made it in, I put on this song and called it a day


Related GIF: 



This turned out much longer than I expected so part two will go up this weekend. Be safe and save lives 

No comments:

Post a Comment